Monday, September 21, 2009

Charm City Cross - Racing and Photos

1. Last year I was going to sell my cross bike, but held onto it.....for that...."Just in Case".

2. Haven't raced a bike (let alone a cross race) in two years due to back pain.

3. Been seeing a Chiropracter for a few month, back feels like its getting better.

4. Decided to start swimmming and running as well as some cycling just to keep in shape...or better stated, not get fat and grossly out of shape.

5. Thought I'd try racing a few cross races this year....just to see how it goes.

6. Been to a few cross practices with the DCCOC. Seem to be riding fairly well although nothing special.

7. Did my 1st group ride of the year last week...meaning all my riding this year has been solo with no intensity.

8. Coaching my daughters travel soccer team so getting races to fit my schedule is limited. This past Sundays game was late afternoon......so

9. Charm City Cross in Baltimpre Maryland seemed like a good idea and fit my schedule. Go to register this week - Masters 35+ B race was full, but C3 pulled thru and added one spot just for me - which of course means I'm lining up LAST, Back of the field, in the rear!

10. With a last line start, "MY" realistic goal was to finish in the top 50%.
Fatmarc put the pressure on me stating I was top 25 material. Although in the back of my mind that is what I was shooting for, but I knew with no intensity in my riding and a last line start, this would be very difficult.

11. My race went like this:
As noted I started in the last row - around 100 racers in front of me. I road technically solid, no slips or crashes, made some nice passes in the tight corners. Never got boxed in or out, made my lines and forced myself where I needed to be. Technically a solid race.....although I did "almost" have one misshap. Running over the 2nd set of large barriers I clipped my front wheel on the top of the barrier spinning my bike around causing the crowd to take a big step back from getting hit in the head with my bike. Off balance and spinning I make a quick 360 spin to gain composure and I'm still up and off around the tree and over the 2nd barrier. Nice save! Fitness wise is always another story, but was expected. I road my own race. I needed to be steady with no potential for any super strong efforts. Made most of my gains in the technical sections and barriers, most of my losses on the straights.

Laps 2-4 were my hardest and my back was pretty sore during this time unfortunately causing me to back off a bit on my tempo. Fortunately the last 2 laps it seemed as if my back pain subsided for the most part and I was able to pick up my speed a bit more and make some moves forward. In the end I finished in 30th. I should be satisfied, but......just....not....quite.....satisfied. Someone puts top 25 in your head.....

Hoping to try the Guys Whirlybird race this weekend.

After my race I hung around and took some photos from the next two races which can be found here:


Charm City Cross Photos










1 comment:

Your Friendly Neighborhood HR Dude said...

dude, if you registered 2 weeks earlier you would have freaking been there...

great job. 5 spots away from the top 25...

respect
m