Monday, March 26, 2007

Strasburg Road Race

IN OVER MY HEAD!
So I went into this race knowing the above. I just recently moved up from Cat 5 to Cat 4 on the road and for what every reason I still do not know - I decided to race the Masters 40+ for my
1st road race of the season. I guess there is no better way to get into shape than being hammered in March. Snow called off the race last weekend and was rescheduled for this past Saturday. I get to the race which was in Strasburg PA, there was slight rain and the roads were wet - this is a given for the first road race of the season. Registering was SLOW - not sure why since everyone was to have preregistered - had enough time to do a quick out and back and headed to the start line. Recognized a few Cat 2's and 3's.....what was I thinking?
Race is scheduled for 5 laps for 28 mile.

We start off and pace is fine - nothing to demanding.......and 1/2 way into the first lap the attackes start. Come-on! My goal is to make at least one lap with the group! This is not going to help. No one gets away, but I can see the tatics being played by two teams. Sending guys off the front and 2 or 3 members sit in on the front slowing the group down. No one was getting to far away and at times I felt good enough that I would go off the front pulling the group back up to the leads. I figured I would not be there long so why not! The race pace picks up and I am suprisingly hanging with the lead - usually riding in the top 5 most of the time. Roads have dried out nicely by now.....and then 1/2 way into the 3rd lap a surge happens to chase an attacking group and I'm off the back never to find my way back onto the group. Pretty much my race is over - my lower back was sore at this point so I roll into the start/finish and pulled out at the end of the 4th lap. Figured I would now grab my camera gear and Photograph the rest of the day.
All photos of the race can be found here:


I tried panning a few shots today and a few came out decent enough - definately a technicue that I need to pracfice on. Photography kind of went as
my race. I just did not seem to have a groove going and seemed to have some focus issues. I have not photographed any sports since the end of cyclocross season last year so my shuter fingers are a bit rusty.
New week I have decided to try and smarten up a bit and signed up for the Cat 4 race at Kirkwood - we will see if I can hang with the main group a bit longer - Photographing the remaining races as well.

No comments: